Thursday, May 9, 2013

Be My Anchor, Lord

Lord Jesus, Blessed Redeemer,
Put on my heart the need for repentance,                                           
      the need for change in my mind and in my heart.                      
Give me strength and courage to follow You,                                    
      into deeper, blacker waters,
      rougher waters beyond the buoys,
      where my feet cannot reach the bottom,
      into waters that frighten me
      because I am not a good swimmer,
      and I panic if water is over my head. 
Lead me, Lord, and keep me afloat.
Assure me of Your presence, Your strength, and Your power.
Let me remember that I do not need to fear changes in my life
       and in my journey with You as long as I remember
       to stay within the safety net of Your loving arms.
Forgive me, Lord, for wanting to cling to my childish flotation devices
       instead of taking them off and trusting you to hold me up.
Protect me as I swim in a sea of worldly trials and temptations,
       among monsters that would pull me under into their watery lairs.
Encourage me to pull up the anchors that keep me in my safe place,
       but prevent me from moving out 
       into the depths to which You call me.
Let me put aside all those devices that prevent me from being
       the person You want me to be.
Give me the courage to paddle out to answer Your call.
Give me the strength and the will to go where You want me to go.
Convince me to change ineffective customs and habits.
Give me the ears to listen for Your voice,
       And when I hear Your beautiful, wonderful voice, 
              let me obey You.
Lord, be my anchor, my compass, my north star.
Impress on me the need to let You be the Navigator of my life.
Steer me into new rivers and oceans to give me new opportunities 
       to glorify you and to enjoy being in Your presence forever.
Wonderful, Loving Savior,  thank You 
      for loving me unconditionally.

“Save me, O God, for the waters have come up to my neck. I sink in the miry depths, where there is no foothold. I have come into the deep waters; the floods engulf me. I am worn out calling for help; my throat is parched. My eyes fail, looking for my God. Those who hate me without reason outnumber the hairs of my head; many are my enemies without cause, those who seek to destroy me. I am forced to restore what I did not steal.”   Psalm 69                  

No comments:

Post a Comment